- Started the week by converting this API from last week to Typescript. I thought this was going to be the most difficult part of my week, but I got it done in under 4 hours. Typescript just gets easier by the day. PS: I'm writing an Introduction to Typescript series.
- Something I really wanted to learn about this past week was best practices for API design. I use to think I know the basics of building APIs, since I was literally championing one from scratch at my previous company. It turned out I knew almost nothing 😂. I took out some time to look at some videos about API design. I'm writing a little note about that on this blog. But for now, you can check out this YouTube playlist I curated for API design best practices.
- I also attempted another nodejs course. I got RESTful Web API Design alongside Node.js & React Node AWS. I was able to finish the first, but couldn't proceed with the second because I had issues with my AWS account. I hope to finish up this week.
- On thursday, I had some burst of energy and decided to build a little API to practice my API skills. I spent about 5 hours and couldn't even ship an MVP. The project I was building was a work session tracker, I plan to continue working on it sometime in the future (or never).
I didn't get to listen to a lot of podcasts this week, but I really enjoyed this one.
- Why I preach Hard work is a Foundational Layer for success - Most people do not resonate with Gary Vee's message. But I've been following him since 2018, and I've learned a lot from him. This episode talked about showing up consistently, putting yourself out there and treating people well.
Stuff I'm reading
GraphQL - I've been doing a little research on graphql. The way I normally learn about these things is by randomly googling and getting pointers to resources. I'll just randomly point to a few articles that gave more clarity to what graphql is and why we need it.
[css-conditional] [css-contain] Fleshing out @container queries with single-axis containment #5796 - I didn't know what container queries were 2 months ago. I randomly looked it up and was blown away. We could style and control the appearance of an element based on the properties of its container. Learn more here
The story of how Google could have killed Facebook with the flick of a switch - An article about how Google would have shut down 25% of facebook's revenue by limiting support for WebSQL in 2013. Google didn't even know!
The Miyawaki Method: A Better Way to Build Forests? - How an industrial engineer at toyota quit his job to start a forest-production company. They've planted 450,000 trees in over 50 countries.
How to be clear - One lesson from this article is that the easier something is to read, the more people will read it and the less questions they'll have. Sacrifice clarity for sounding smart.
Is redux still necessary with Apollo graphql? - By most estimates, remote data accounts for approx. 80% of application data while the other 20% is local data such as device API results and global flags.. This article tries to make one point, Redux is no longer necessary in Apollo GraphQL setup. It then promotes another library
apollo-link-statefor client state management. But Jezz, the ads in this article 🤦♂️ I don't really know what to think about this article. Maybe that's because I have little experience with GraphQL, but my experience with redux hasn't been that bad 🤷♂️.
- Tabbied - Abstract, pre-made and customizable illustrations from our gallery.
- Hacker Laws - Laws, Theories, Principles and Patterns that developers will find useful
- Remotion - Create motion graphics in React 🤯
That would be all. It's great to have you, see you next week!