- I'm discovering my love for building tools. I wrote a little chrome extension to automate a LinkedIn task. It took 10 to 20 mins from conceiving the idea to having it working. I love this superpower!
- Avocado - This week has been a super productive one. I've finally cracked up the theming puzzle 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼. It made me happy and increased my motivation to continue working on the project. Will take some time to try dark mode and put up a theming demo this coming week. I also added the Accordion & Separator components.
- Practiced a bunch of algorithms on algoexpert. The more I learn to solve these algorithms, the more incompetent I feel. I couldn't even get anyone right. These are the beginner ones for f*ck's sake!!! More practice, I guess.
What I'm reading
Automating the accessibility tests of your source code with GitHub Actions - This came right in time. Using Github to automate accessibility tests sounds like a great idea for design systems and other UI-focused projects. I've been thinking of ways to add accessibility tests to avocado. It's been so stressful to think about that I've resorted to relying on unit tests for now. I'll do a little research on this and see if anything changes.
Silicon Valley’s ‘Mission Protocol’ Revolution Is Beginning to Attain Critical Mass -An article about "mission protocol" companies. If you recall the Basecamp saga where they asked employees not to discuss political topics at the office. I don't know a lot about this, but I think the first step is to differentiate politics from human rights. If someone is being assaulted/oppressed at work, should they keep quiet??? I'm still yet to understand what this means.
Is Safari adding AVIF support in 2021? - AVIF is the newest image format that supports royalty-free images and compresses better. It's pretty new that only a few browsers support it. You can checkout the can I use. It turns out Safari is working on supporting it.
Can I Use page for AVIF
The Plan for React 18 - I love how well the react team challenges already established ideas. When react 17 was announced last year with no breaking changes, I felt very happy and upgraded the massive codebase I was working on at the time. Nothing broke. React 18 is at the corner and there's not going to be any breaking changes. Great job, honestly. Here're a few of the interesting discussions
Creating a serverless function to scrape web pages metadata - Tutorial for scrapping site metadata using nodejs, serverless functions and metascrapper.
What I'm watching
- Building a WORKBENCH (with a built-in work light) - I'm looking for the easiest way to build a sit-stand desk. You might be thinking - Buy one from Amazon! - I can't. The shipping costs to Nigeria is twice the price 😭.
- Why You Should Learn Python In 2021 - I spent some time learning basic Python last month. I almost regretted it until I discovered the solutions for Algoexpert's algorithms were explained in Python. It's never a bad idea to learn something with a large impact.
- My thoughts on the CAP theorem - CAP stands for Consistency, Availability, and Partition tolerance. The quick takeaway is that you have to choose between consistency and availability!
- Fastly's Outage Took Down Amazon, Reddit, Stack Overflow and many other websites (Early reports) - I've been finding value in Hussein's videos. They are so educational and he has a fun personality too.
- Speakeasy JS – Astro: A New Architecture for the Modern Web (Fred K. Schott)
- Zeitgeist - iOS app for managing and monitoring your Vercel builds.
- Native UI - A Vue 3 Component Library. Fairly Complete, Customizable Themes, Uses TypeScript, Not Too Slow
- RXChess- Chess-playing site built using React, Redux, RxJs (hence the name!), and a handful of other frontend technologies.
I can't say how much of my happiness comes from music. It's something I'll forever be grateful for.
This week, I've been primarily listening to Oxlade. I found this beautiful playlist of all his songs. My current favorite is Weaknesss. I also got to listen to another song on my list - Early Momo by Vector/Good Girl LA.
Another person on my list is Rowlene. I found her from one of Oxlade's songs. I pray I find some great experience with her.
Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend!!!