WhereAPI is an API service for location-related functionality in African applications. It's also self-hosted and open-source. See the documentation site for information on setting up.
While working at a startup in 2017, there was one problem that really bothered us - Location. We spent weeks trying to collate and index a database of 32 states with their Local govt areas. Some had 12, some had 17, one had 44.
At my second job, we had to seed, maintain and constantly update a database of the same exact information - Countries, States and LGAs. This took a lot of time from actually building software.
This is why I’m building Where API - To help solve location-related problems for African developers.
- Build an easy to use API service for accurate location-related information.
- Understand good practices for designing and building API services.
- Node & Express for the core API
- Heroku for hosting the demo
- PostgreSQL for database
- Prisma as ORM and managing database migrations
- React & Nextjs for user client
- Formik for form validation
- React Query for data fetching
- Chakra UI for interface
- Figma for interface design